Gout comes in the category of arthritis, in which there is an accumulation of small crystals on the internal area and around the joints, causing severe pain and inflammation. It usually occurs in toes and affects men over the age of 30 and females after menopause. It is usually more common in men than women.
The Signs and Symptoms of Gout
Gout can affect any joint of the body, but it usually targets the joints at the fingers, toes, ankles, and knees. Some of the signs and symptoms of gout include the following:
- Severe in intense pain in a single or multiple joints
- Tender joints with elevated temperature on the affected site
- Redness and glossiness of the skin on the affected area
The Causes of Gout
Some of the common causes of gout include the following:
- High blood pressure, obesity, diabetes
- Family history of gout
- Renal problems elevated uric acid
- Eating red meat, seafood, and sugary foods often results in elevated uric acid.
- Drinking too much alcohol or beer
The Treatment Options for Gout
The first goal of treatment is to relieve acute symptoms of gout that result in pain and inflammation. For this goal, medications such as corticosteroids, colchicine, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are given to the patient.
The next goal is to prevent further gout attacks from happening. This includes taking medicines to decrease uric acid in the body like allopurinol, losing weight, eating a healthy and well-balanced diet, and combining different lifestyle changes.
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, telemedicine makes it possible for you to get the care you deserve. Schedule a virtual consultation with a Telakai Health online Provider and get on the road to recovery. Schedule your visit today.